Friday 28 February 2014

Fierce ~~ Clarissa Wilde

    

Nerdy girl Autumn Blakewood is the prime example of a goody two-shoes. She studies every night, is never late for class, and always follows the rules. She has never felt the need to step out of her comfort zone. That is, until she meets Hunter.

Hunter Bane is a cocky, confident bad-boy, who's nothing but trouble. He
s a dangerous distraction to everyone around him. Sexy and strong, Hunter enjoys the swooning effect he has on women. Especially those who aren't used to attention, like Autumn.

Autumn finds it hard not to give into Hunter
s advances, even though it all seems like a game to him. Trying to understand him is impossible, because he shrouds himself in mystery. 

What she doesn't know is that Hunter has more baggage than anyone should have to carry. When she discovers he's in an illegal frat club to save the one person that matters to him, Autumn realizes this could mean the end of her undeniable connection to him. Even their lives are at risk.
But it's too late to turn back now ...
ARC received from author for an honest review 

The premise of Fierce is not a new one - nerdy girl meets bad boy - but the synopsis had me intrigued and wanting to read.

As much as I wanted to LOVE Fierce, I couldn't.  Don't get me wrong, I liked it, just didn't love it.

Autumn was bullied all through high school and was after a fresh start with her best friend at college. Her other best friend is already at the same school, but gees, I couldn't find anything to like about him, Brody ,at all!  What a douche!!

Hunter is the resident bad boy that Autumn instantly lusts after, but really I didn't find him much of a bad boy at all.  Sure some of the things he did weren't great, but  he wasn't all that bad.

I felt that the characters didn't stay true to form.  They were a bit hipolar sometimes with their behaviour, especially Autumn.  She's the shy nerd girl who wants to do well at school, acts all virginal then BAM she is swearing like it would make sailors blush, getting all up in people's business and coming on to Hunter!

I also felt that there was too much going on in the book.  There was the nerdy best friends/I'm in love with my best friend, ex-best friends gone bad, frat parties, shady deals etc etc.  

And I still haven't completely got my head around the deal with the frat house ~~ is it a frat house? A gang? An underground fighting club?  A drug syndicate??
The story also lacked flow.   It seemed to jump around from one story line to another which just added to the confusion.  If a few of the side stories were removed it might have read a lot better.

I didn't really connect with any of the characters, couldn't get immersed in the story with them.  I like to really lose myself in a story but I felt completely disconnected from this one.

And then I felt that the ending was very rushed.  There had been all these story lines, but POOF within a chapter or 2, all the loose ends were tied up and everyone was happily moving on.  Huh??  Really??

While Fierce was obviously not the book for me, you may love it, like a lot of others do, but I have to be honest in my reviews and I just didn't feel this one at all.

BUT - I do LOOOOVE the cover!!